Adding a person to the XO Chronicles will increase what we know about the people who once lived or were descendent from a parish and from Ireland. It is a place where people can share what they know about their ancestors and also make information available both to the local community and to other descendants around the world.
Some ground rules
- Only people with a date of birth MORE THAN 100 years ago may be included in the XO Chronicles
- No information relating to persons living may be included in the XO Chronicles
- All content that is created will be moderated on the basis that it is truthful, created in good faith, non-defamatory and respectful to those living and deceased
Step 1 Select your person
- You may choose any person you happen to know is from a particular parish and wish to include them in the XO Chronicles of that parish.
- You may also choose to include anyone that is descendant from a particular parish, and that has a date of birth of more than 100 years ago.
Step 2 Prepare your information
As no draft can be saved on the XO Chronicles, it is best if you organise and save your information on your private computer in advance of uploading it. We recommend creating a word document with the name of each person you wish to upload, where you save information, links and biographical details. You can then use this document to cut and paste into the editing format of the XO Chronicles.
- Date of birth - this can be also an estimation or just the year
- Image - this can be of the person, or any other symbol or item that might represent them
- Name of one parish they were associated with (Born, married, lived, descendent from etc). If you do not know the parish, you can still create the person but you will have to link them to "Ireland XO" when it asks you to link a parish.
- Any stories or general information can be included in the body
- Biographical details such as parents, siblings occupation etc
- Online sources that reference this person e.g. census, Griffith's Valuation, Passenger list
Step 3 Create a Person
- Make sure you are logged in using your Ireland XO username and password
- Click on XO Chronicles at the top of the page and select XO People (You can also access the XO Chronicles from any Community page)
- Select "Discover & Create" from under the XO People section
- Select "Add person"
- Fill in the details according to the on-screen format. Use the "?" icon on every field to help you understand what is required.
- At the bottom on the screen, select save. If you have missed any essential information (e.g. name), the document will not save and you will be prompted to correct/insert any missing information.
When you have successfully saved a person to the XO Chronicles, you will receive a message in green at the top of the screen advising you that your entry will shortly be moderated by Ireland XO and published.
Step 4 Publication
Ireland XO will aim to moderate and publish any conten within a 72 hour period. You can check to see if your person is published by looking in the main Community XO Chronicles, or by going directly to the parish you published them in.
Step 5 Share your person
Share you ancestor using the social media share icons provided
Step 6 Link a Person to a Building
If you know the location of a place that this person lived or worked in, you can create an XO Buliding entry and link the person to it.
- Create the Building in XO Buildings
- Edit your person and "Link a building". This will then be moderated and published
- You can check back to see if the building now has your person as being linked to it.