Adding a building to the Ireland XO Chronicles will increase what we know about the homes and workplaces of a parish and who might have lived or worked there. Ireland XO members can share what they know about the houses their ancestors lived and worked in and make that information available both to the local community and to other descendants around the world.
Some ground rules
- Do not include any names or details of living persons that might have connections to these buildings
- All content that is created will be moderated on the basis that it is truthful, created in good faith, non-defamatory and respectful to those living and deceased
Step 1 Select your Building
This may be a house or other dwelling, a workplace, school or other community-type building such as a courthouse.
Step 2 Prepare your information
As no draft can be saved on the XO Chronicles, it is best if you organise and save your information on your private computer in advance of uploading it. We recommend creating a word document with the address and parish name of every building you wish to upload. Here you can also save additional information and outside links for referencing. You can then use your own private document to cut and paste into the editing format of the XO Chronicles.
- Name and/or address of Building
- Parish where building is located
- Image - this can be of the Building, or any other symbol or item that might represent it
- GPS Coordinates of exact location - the Geocode function will identify the location according to the address you insert. To indicate a more precise location, prepare the longitude and latitude coordinates using Google satelite maps. You can then insert them into the fields provided when creating your Building.
- Any stories or general information can be included in the body
- Online sources that reference this building e.g. census, Griffith's Valuation, Passenger list
Step 3 Create a Building
- Make sure you are logged in using your Ireland XO username and password
- Select "XO Chronicles" from the top of any page.
- Select "Discover & Create" from under the XO Buildings section
- Select "Add Building"
- Fill in the details according to the on-screen format. Use the "?" icon on every field to help you understand what is required.
- At the bottom on the screen, select save. If you have missed any essential information (e.g. address), the document will not save and you will be prompted to correct/insert any missing information.
When you have successfully saved a Building to the XO Chronicles, you will receive a message in green at the top of the screen advising you that your entry will shortly be moderated by Ireland XO and published.
Step 4 Publication
Ireland XO will aim to moderate and publish any conten within a 72 hour period. You can check to see if your building is published by looking in the main Community XO Chronicles, or by going directly to the parish you have added a Building to.
Step 5 Share your Ireland XO Building
Share your Building with you friends and family on your social media using share icons provided
Step 6 Link a Building with Ireland XO People
If you know the details of people who lived or worked here you can now link them directly to the your XO Building.
- Create the Building in XO Buildings
- Create or Edit an XO People profile and click "Link a building" at the bottom of the editing page. Type in the name of you building (or address) and select from the dropdown list. In order to link a an XO People profile with an XO Building, the building must first be create.
- This "link" will then be moderated by Ireland XO and published
- You can check back later to see that the Building now has people linked to it