Arthur Ray (also Reigh) tinsmith was born in Dublin circa 1867. He the son of William Ray Sr, a gas fitter (aka plumber). This family was Anglican Church of Ireland.
On 15 March 1887, Arthur Ray, tinsmith, married Teresa Finlay in the Dublin Registry Office. They were both living at 30 Jervis Street at the time (both fathers deceased). Teresa's father Michael Finlay, was a porter.
The couple appears on both the 1901 and 1911 Census by which time they had 7 children:
William Ray b.1888 labourer
Walter Ray b. 1890 (m. Mary Byrne)
Annie Ray 1892 Milliner
Jane Ray b. 1894 ~ died in infancy
Mary Teresa Ray b.1898
Arthur Ray Jr. b. 1901
Interestingly, save for Mary Teresa, who was baptised at St Werburgh Church of Ireland, all the others were baptised at the RC parish church of St Michael & John on Essex Street West, Temple Bar.
In 1888 the family was living in Temple Bar at 9 Essex St West when young William was baptised (sponsor: Katherine O'Gilsby).
Annie Ray (1834-1920) tinsmith's widow (also CofI) lived in the front parlour at #9 West Essex St. Children: Walter Ray (1870-1902) plumber died of TB bur. Mount Jerome| Lucy Ray (b.1871 Rotunda Chapel) m. 1895 John Stephens of Thomas Davis St in St Werburgh| Charles Ray (b.1876 bap. Rotunda Chapel) 19 Essex Street West Jane Ray (u.21) m. 1893 William Henry Graltan, tailor, of 157 Capel St in St Werburgh CofI. | all born in Dublin City.
In 1901, # 9 Essex Street West had tenement accommodation for 6 working-class families (each occupying 2 rooms each) and a shop. With 8 windows to the front, and a slated roof it was deemed a 1st class house.
By 1890 the family was living at 16 Great Longford Street (off Aungier St, near Whitefriar St Church)when young Walter Ray was baptised. (Sponsor: Rosanna O'Gilbey) and when Anne was baptised in 1892 (Sponsor: Catherine Hill). Slater's Directory of 1894 listed Arthur Ray, tinsmith trading at 16 (and half) Great Longford St. That year, when baby Jane was baptised (Sponsor: Catherine O'Gilbey) their address had changed to 8 Lr Longford St. where Mary was born in 1898. In the census of 1901, the family was recorded at 8 Great Longford Street. Arthur Jr was born at the Rotunda Hospital a month after the census was taken.
SEE Walter Ray, chandler, 78 Capel Street (Slater's 1894).
By 1911, the family had returned to 9 Essex Street West where they lived in the back parlour of a shop (with Mrs Anne Reigh (1834-1920) tinsmith's widow, in the front parlour). This connection to the Rays of Essex Street needs further exploration.
|Date of Birth||1867 (circa)|