Charles Gaussen Esq. (1795-1887) was a solicitor in Dublin in the first half of the 19th century.
He was the descendant of David Gaussen (of a French Huguenot family) who arrived in the north of Ireland in the early 18th century and later settled at Newry, Co. Down. His mother was Elizabeth Campbell (b. 1750) and his father was David Gaussen (b. 1754) of Co. Derry. James Gaussen and David Campbell Gaussen were his brothers. MORE
The Genealogical notes relating to the Gaussen family of Newry, Co. Down are held at the PRONI
In 1827, age 30, he married Eliza Hardy and had 2 sons (Charles Campbell Gaussen, William Hardy Gaussen) and 3 daughters. His daughter Anna Isabella married Rev. W. H. Boroughs; and Sophia married Mr. T.P. Cairns, J.P. aka Thomas Plunkett Cairnes of Stameen, Drogheda.
In the 1830s and 1840s, his solicitor's practice was at 71 Eccles Street, Dublin.
By 1854, the Gaussen family resided at No. 17 Gardiners-place, Dublin, with his solicitor's practice at No 12 (parish of St George). At the time of Griffith's Valuation, he also held property in and about Dublin's Docklands (parish of St Thomas) Clontarf, Newry, and Belfast.
In 1869 he donated the site for the new church of St Barnabas (Church of Ireland) and the adjoining schoolhouse on Sheriff Street.
In the 1870s he is recorded as the owner of 1,559 acres in county Kilkenny, 817 acres in county Tipperary and 41 acres in county Dublin.
On his 92nd birthday, he died at home at West House, Greystones, Co Wicklow, and was interred at St John Baptist cemetery, Clontarf, Co. Dublin. In his will, he left effects to the sum of £19,014 8s 7d. VIEW WILL
|Date of Birth||11th Jun 1795|
|Date of Death||11th Jun 1887|