Father Michael Griffin (1892 – 1920) for whom the "Father Griffin's" GAA club and Galway's "Father Griffen Road" was named, was a young Catholic priest believed to have been killed by the Black & Tans in reprisal during the Irish War of Independence.
A native of the parish of Clonkeen in East Galway, he served as a curate the parish of Ennistymon, Co. Clare, before being transferred to Rahoon, Galway City in 1918.
His father having long been associated with Parnell and the Land League, young Fr Griffin was a known Irish republican sympathiser.
Taken from his home to Lenaboy Castle for questioning on the night of 14 November 1920, he never returned.
On 20 November, his body (with a gunshot to the head) was found in an unmarked grave in a bog at Cloghscoltia near Barna.
Such was the public outcry, 3 bishops, 150 priests and over 12,000 mourners made up the cortege at his funeral. He was interred in the grounds of Loughrea Cathedral.
A memorial stands in Bearna today, on the spot where his body was found.
|Date of Birth||18th Sep 1892|
|Date of Death||14th Nov 1920|
|Mother (First Name/s and Maiden)||Mary Coyne /Kyne.|
|Father (First Name/s and Surname)||Thomas George Griffin, farmer & chairman of Galway County Council|
|Townland born||Gurteen, County Galway|