Michael Grimes (1812-1902) of Hermitage, Croghan lived at farm #4a Croghan (just west of the Hermitage Demesne). Grimes also appears on record as Greme, Grahim, Graham, Grehan here.
He was likely to have first married when he was about 18 (circa 1830) as was common practice before the Great Famine.
A Michael Grimes of Hermitage married Mary Conlon in Croghan on 2-Jan-1829 (no parents names recorded) witnessed by: John Healy & Malachy Conlon. Children of Michael Grimes & Mary Conlon:
- Francis Grimes 1821 [gp Brigid Owens m. Michael Conlon]
- Brigid Grimes 1833 [gp Charles Barry m. Jane Grimes] He also gp'd for
- John Grimes 1835 [gp Malachy Conlon & Jane Grimes]
- Anne Grimes 1838 [gp James Conlon & Brigid Shannon]
- Patrick Grimes 1842 [gp Patrick Healy & Brigid Healy]
Living nearby were: Mary's siblings: Malachy Conlon | Michael Conlon m. Brigid Owens | Patrick Conlon* | James Conlon m. Mary Shannon
Michael's siblings: Anne Grimes | Jane Grimes m. Charles Barry |
Circa 1844 (just before the Great Famine) Michael Grimes (1812-1902) married Catherine Kaveney (1819-1912) of Hermitage and they had the following children:
- 06-Apr-1845 Brigid Grimes [gp: Peter Grimes & Ann Dignan] married Pat Cunningham of Hermitage.
- 24-Dec-1848 Catherine Grimes [gp: Henry Grimes & Mary Hoare]
- 05-Jun-1851 Patrick Grimes [gp: Michael Grimes & Mary Kearny]
- 06-Nov-1853 Maria Grimes [gp: Thomas Donlon & Brigid Beirne] 1901 Census
- 02-Aug-1856 Honora Grimes [gp: Pat Reilly & Mary Mullaney]
- 25-Apr-1858 Elizabeth Lizzie Grimes [gp: John McGann & Anne Grimes]
Michael's siblings: Peter Grimes | Francis Grimes m.1828 Mary Mullaney | Henry Grimes | Mary Grimes m. John McGann |
Michael Grimes was still alive and living at Hermitage in the Census of Ireland 1901, which recorded that he was unable to write. He died the following year age 90.
His wife Catherine survived him, dying age 93 at home in Hermitage with her daughter Maria Grimes at her side in 1912.
In 1888 a Mary Grimes nee Conlon (1826-1888) of Hermitage (farmer's wife) died of asthma, age 62, with Michael Grimes farmer (widower) present at death. They married in Croghan on 2-Jan-1829 (no parents names recorded) wit: John Healy & Malachy Conlon
In 1891, Michael Grimes (1824-1891) of Hermitage (labourer, widower) died of old age, age 67, with John McGann aka Megan/Magan (husband of Mary Grimes, sis of Catherine, Anne, Brigid, Henry Grimes, Catherine Keaveny wife of Michael Grimes) present at death.
|Date of Birth||1812 (circa)|
|Date of Death||18th Apr 1902||VIEW SOURCE|
|Associated Building (s)||Hermitage CROGHAN|
|Mother (First Name/s and Maiden)|
|Father (First Name/s and Surname)||Francis Grimes (as this is a name handed down)|
|Townland born||Croghan Rural (farm #4 GV)|
|Names of Siblings||Mary Grimes b.1819 m John McGann | Henry Grimes m Anne Brennan (#4 Hermitage) | Francis Grimes m.1828 Mary Mullaney | John Grimes m. Brigid Kelly | Peter Grimes | Anne Grimes | Brigid Grimes | Catherine Grimes |||VIEW SOURCE|
|Census 1901: GRIMES Croghan||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|