Enlisted in the 65th Yorkshire regiment and was posted to Manchester England where his regiment was involved with controlling the Chartist riots about 1841.
Was living in Cornwall Street Manchester at date of marriage 28 August 1843
From his marriage certificate he was listed as a Private with the 65th Regiment in 1943 and living in Cornwell Street Manchester
Enlisted in the 65th Regiment (Yorkshire) 14 March 1846. Travelled to New Zealand on the Ship Sir Robert Peel, Departed Gravesend London 15 September 1846, Arrived Auckland 4 January 1847. Discharged with Gratui ty 30 June 1853.
The Wanganui Chronicle 10 October 1908 page 7 states that Major J Patience was the commanding officer of the 65th Regiment in Wanganui in 1853
Jurors list published Wanganui Chronicle 18 February 1858 listed as a Sawyer 1863 Wanganui Electoral roll shows him as a Sawyer ref: Wanganui Herald 15 February 1888 Patrick Byrne of Ballyavan joined the 65th Foot Regiment as a Private on 14th March 1840. Regimental No. 1559. He arrived in New Zealand, at Auckland, on 4th January 1847 on the Sir Robert Peel, accompanied by his wife Catherine and infant son Edward. He was discharged from the 65th Regiment, with gratuity, on 30th June 1853. He appears on the pay list again from 27th December 1854 until 31st August 1865. On the other hand he is described as a settler in the baptismal records of his three youngest daughters in 1856, 1857 and 1859. 1870 was Living on a freehold property of 50 acres near Matarawa Valley Okoia Wanganui called Gary Glass. While serving in Wanganui he had the rank of Corporal and Catherine's headstone implies he became a Colour Sargent. Patrick's grave has no headstone. He was granted 50 acres of Crown Grant land known as Garry Glass, Matarua Valley, Wanganui. He appears on Electoral Roll there 1866-1871 and was on the Jurors list. The family moved to Waihi (now Normanby) in Taranaki, probably in 1865.
Hāwera. The township was established in the 1870s, but the earlier Waihī military post had been established in 1866 by Lieutenant Colonel Thomas McDonnell. The massive wooden stockade and blockhouses were on the high ground overlooking the tiny Waihī cemetery and an old pā site, Mangamanga. The post was manned by the armed constabulary until 1885. In the cemetery is a memorial to the Pākehā soldiers killed in 1868 at Turuturumōkai and Te Ngutu-o-te-manu. The Normanby domain was the site of the 1879 Ketemarae redoubt, and is the site of another memorial to Pākehā casualties of the 1868-69 conflicts.
In a curve of the Waihi Stream, Colonial forces established the Waihi Redoubt as advanced quarters for their campaigns in September 1866. The redoubt was built partly on the remains of the ancient pa Mangamanga. Both armed constabulary and kupapa (pro-government Maori) were based there at one time. Land at the base of the redoubt was set aside as a cemetery for the burial of the dead from military engagements and this contains the graves of the solders killed in the confrontations at Turuturu Mokai and Te-Ngutu-O-Te-Manu.
The cemetery was declared a reserve on 19 July 1883 and until recent years was in use as a local cemetery.
A memorial stone marks the site of the redoubt on Pikituroa Road Normanby.
|Date of Birth||1877|
|Date of Death||8th Dec 1876|