Patrick Gately (1813-1896) was farming at Carrownrinny (aka Renny just south of Tulsk, Co Roscommon; parish of Kilcooley / Killukin) and is recorded in the 1857 Griffith's Valuation. His descendants, through his son Matthew Gately (1850–1907), were farming there for a long time since.
Included in this Gately line are:
- James Gately (b.1845) Supervisor of Means Revenue in Sligo in 1901. It looks like they moved around a lot. Their first child Josephine was born in Co Roscommon in 1876, her sister Frances in Co Tyrone in 1878, and their brother James Blackhorse Gately, a soldier, was born in Sheffiled, England. James Gately and family were no longer in Sligo by 1911.
- Rev. Fr. John Gately S.J. (b.1846) a Jesuit priest in Sydney, Australia.
- Matthew Gately, took over the family farm at Renny. There were Gately relatives there in the 1960s.
- William J Gately born 1853 emigraterd to NY and from there to Chicago. He has a long line of descendents there.
- Sr. Mary Baptist (Mary Gately) entered the convent in 1879. Died 1942.
- Stephen Gately (b. 1861) was a publican and grocer in Connaught St. Athlone. He married Maria J (b. 1867) from Co Sligo in 1890. Gately’s public house was a 1st class house with 8 rooms in 1911.
The Gately surname was unique to Co Roscommon (particularly around the south of the County) and East Galway. SEE Carrownrinny (Killukin) and Cams (Fuerty). https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=Gately
[research by Rua Mac Diarmada]
|Date of Birth||1813 (circa)|
|Date of Death||8th Mar 1896|
|Associated Building (s)||Finnor House|
|Spouse (First Name/s and Maiden/Surname)||Brigid Barrett (1820-1899) of Finnor House m. 1844||VIEW SOURCE|
|Place & Date of Marriage||Croghan on 15 Feb 1844|
|Names of Children||James M Gately 1845–1910 | Rev. John Gately S.J. 1846–1910 Patrick Gately 1848– | William (Joseph) Gately 1849–1907 | Matthew Gately 1850–1907 | Thomas Gately 1852– | Martin Gately 1854–1925 | Michael Gately 1858– ||
|Names of Children||Ellen Gately 1853– | Sr. Mary Gately 1856–1942 | Rose Gately 1860– | Sr. Catherine Gately 1863–1882|
|Place of Death||Renny aka Carrowrinny, Tulsk, Co. Roscommon, Ireland|