I am trying to figure out WHICH “Patrick” Keleher/Kellaher/Kelleher applies to me, and where he, or his wife Honora Connor came from. All I know is that his children were all baptised in Killmurry parish, Cork and Ross diocese, County Cork. Any help, especially with sibling names, would be very very appreciated.
My great grandmother was Nora J. Kelleher, born 1856 in County Cork, died 1909 in Essex County, Massachusetts. Daughter of Patrick and Honora Connor Kelleher. Nora married in Salem, MA to Jeremiah Hanlon, from Ireland, but I am not sure if it was Cork. I haven’t found the Hanlon family yet. Hanlon was often changed to Hanley or Handly once in the US.
Although I do know some things about her I cannot find the Kelleher origins. So many Kellehers settled in the Essex County communities of Salem, Newburyport, Peabody, Lynn, and Haverhill, never mind the large numbers which settled in Boston, Massachusetts. The majority worked as leather workers and shoe makers at factories in the area. All of those factories were founded and managed by Thomas Plant, under either the Thomas G. Plant Co. in Lynn and later Boston or United Shoe during the 1920s. I annot pin down Patrick's brothers and sisters to determine WHICH Kellehers are my direct ancestors.
Patrick Keleher aka Kelleher was born, I believe, in County Cork around 1826. Sources are only the Kilmurry baptismal records. I have no record of his residency in Massachusetts, except for Honora (Connor) Kelleher’s Salem directories listing as a “widow of Patrick”.
Married to Honora Connor, born about 1826, somewhere near to Kilmurry Parish (Cannavee, Movidy, Kilbonane) where their children were baptised. I think she is the Honora in Salem at the same address as a few of her children, in the 1900s. (Town and City records).
If the family used naming conventions, and I do believe they did, the names of their children fit with what I know the family. And I am guessing that their first born son, Daniel was named after Patrick’s father. I have searched through the earlier and later possible years, without result, to determine if there were other births.
These are the children of Patrick and Honora Connor, all were baptised in Kilmurry, which determined birth years.
- Julia (Aug 1848- Feb 3, 1923) Emigrated to Salem, Married Edward Cody
New England Historic Genealogical Society; Boston, Massachusetts; Massachusetts Vital Records, 1911–1915 and Massachusetts Marriage Records.
- Daniel Kelleher (1850, died 1925) per cemetery stone, Salem
- Find A Grave. Find A Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi.
- National Archives at Boston; Waltham, Massachusetts; ARC Title: Copies of Petitions and Records of Naturalization in New England Courts, 1939 - ca. 1942; NAI Number: 4752894; Record Group Title: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787-2004; Record Group Number: RG 85
- Mary Kelleher (1852 - ?), probably named after father Patrick's mother.
- John P Kelleher (1854-1890) emigrated to Massachusetts, died in HaverhillNew England Historic Genealogical Society; Boston, Massachusetts; Massachusetts Vital Records and Massachusetts Death Record.
- Nora (Honora) J Kelleher (1856-1909), my great grandmother. Death Certificate in Boston, MA. Emigrated to Salem, MA. Married Jeremiah Hanlon/Hanlen in 1886. New England Historic Genealogical Society; Boston, Massachusetts; Massachusetts Vital Records, 1911–1915 and Massachusetts Marriage Records.
- Peter P. (Sep 1857- dies July 13, 1895) Boston. Find A Grave. Find A Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi
- Hanna (1860 - ?)
- Kate (Aug 1862 - ?)
|Date of Birth||1826 (circa)|
|Date of Death||1880 (circa)|