Thomas Rowan 1795
Erin Township, Ontario, Canada
The History of Wellington County by Jean F. Hutchison
History of Erin Township (excerpt) S.S. #11 - North Erin, 9th Line
Commonly known as the Ninth Line School Section, it is in the most northerly corner of Erin Township. Early settlers were McLachlan, McFee, McDougall, Rowan, Smith, White, Barbour, McKinnon, and Ferguson.
The McLachlans, McFees and Smiths came in 1833 and 1834, from Argyleshire, Scotland. McLachlans settled on lot 30, con. 10, the running stream being the deciding factor in the choice. Their deed was obtained in Hamilton. Smiths took up lot 29. Three of these are Century Farms.
The Rowan Century Farm, lot 31, con. 11 - Thomas Rowan, Sr., was born in Ireland of Scottish parents. He came to Canada in 1831 with his wife and four children. His wife died soon after their arrival. He lived first at Woodbridge, then at Sand Hill, and finally took up E-1/2 lot 31, con. 11 Erin Township in 1840. Their first home was a log cabin. His son, Thomas Jr. built another log house on the farm, and he and his wife, the former Anne Menary, had twelve children. Thomas Jr's brother, John Rowan, and his wife, the former Jane Clarke, built their home on the W-1/2 lot 31, con. 11, where they raised ten children. John Rowan sold his farm to his son-in-law,William Henderson.
Thomas Jr.s' son, Robert, had taken over the East 100 acres, and in 1914, he purchased the west 100 acres from Wm. Henderson. Robert Rowan's son, Arthur, and his wife Nelda Reith of Grand Valley, took over the farm about 1955, and sold it in 1974, moving to Orangeville. The large brick house on the Rowan farm was built in 1881.
|Date of Birth||12th Nov 1795|
|Date of Death||4th Feb 1881||VIEW SOURCE|