The house was built by Lord Aldborough between 1793-9 though he died shortly after it was completed. The building was designed by Richard Johnson and is one of Dublin's 'great eighteenth-century mansions'.
During its lifetime, the building has been used as a private residence, a school, a bank, a barracks and a post office depot. If ever a building could talk...Today, it is unused and is sadly in decline. In 2013 it suffered fire damage in an arson attack and in 2016, An Taisce, the Irish State's National Trust, listed its condition as "critical".