AntrimCounty Antrim

Share This:
Antrim Workhouse in the early 20th century
Antrim Workhouse in the early 20th century

The Antrim Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1843 at a cost of £7,054. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 700 inmates. The Antrim Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Antrim, Ballyclare, Ballylinny, Ballynadrentagh, Ballyrobin, Cargin, Connor, Craigarogan, Cranfield, Crumlin, Donegore, Dundesert, Kilbride, Randalstown, Rashee, Seacash, Sharvogue, Shilvodan, and Templepatrick. 

The Antrim Workhouse was closed in 1913. In 1921 the site was repurposed as the Massereene Hospital, which has since been closed. 

Today the Antrim Workhouse site is occupied by administrative buildings with many of the original features still standing. 

 

References

For more information see here Ireland VIEW SOURCE
Public Records of Northern Ireland Northern Ireland. Great Britain. VIEW SOURCE

Type of Building:

Workhouse

Communities Associated with this Building