The Armagh Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £8,754. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 1,000 inmates. The Armagh Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Annaghmore, Armabrogue, Armagh, Ballyards, Ballymartrim, Brootally, Charlemont, Clady, Crossmore, Derrynoose, Glenaud, Grange, Hamilton's Bawn, Hockley, Keady, Killeen, Killyman, Kilmore, Lisnadill, Loughall, Market Hill, Middleton, Richill, and Tynan in Co. Armagh, and Caledon in Co. Tyrone.
The Armagh Workhouse was repurposed as Tower Hill Community Hospital. A number of original buildings are still standing, and a memorial can be found at the site of the old graveyard to the south of the Workhouse.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|