This building, which was originally a Temperence Hall, was constructed in 1897.
The building has served a number of purposes over the years. From 1920 to 1940 it was the local cinema. From 1948 until 1979 it was the town hall whilst also serving as a library from 1948 to 2004.
The library is situated on the western bank of the River Shannon.
The Athlone Public Library has been maintained to a good standard and many of the building's original features are still intact today.
|Inventory of Architectural Heritage||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|