The Bailieborough Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £7,160. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Bailieborough Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Bailieborough, Crossbane, Killenkere, Kingscourt, Shercock, Skeagh, and Termon in Co. Cavan, and Ardagh, Moybolgue, Newcastle, and Tullyarran in Co. Meath.
In 1922 the Bailieborough Workhouse was occupied by the Irish Free State Army.
The Baileborough Worhouse site is now occupied by a retirement home with none of the original buildings still standing.