The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway
The Ballina Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1843 at a cost of £11,400. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 1,200 inmates, making it the largest in the country. Census records show that the true number of inmates reached as high as 3,733 in 1848. The Ballina Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Attymas, Backs, Ballycastle, Callysokeery, Belmullet, Binghamstown, Crossmolina, Kilfian, Kilgarven, Killala, and Lackan in Co. Mayo and Andraree, Calteconnor, Dromore West, Easky, Kilglass, and Taughmaconnell in Co. Sligo.
Ballina Workhouse was demolished in 1934 and was replaced by a district hospital.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|