The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway
The Ballinasloe Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £9,500. It was designed to house a maximum capacity of 1,000 people, but the 1851 census shows that the building housed 2,487 inmates.
The Ballinasloe Workhouse served the County Galway areas of Abbeygormacan, Ahascragh, Aughrim, Ballinasloe, Ballynakill, Ballymacward, Clonfert, Clontuskert, Eyrecourt, Kilconnell, Kilgerrill, Killaan, Killasolan, Kileronan, Killian, Killimor, Kilquain, Kiltormer, Moylough, and the County Roscommon areas of Creagh Moore and Taughmaconnell.
In 1918 part of the workhouse was taken over and occupied by British military forces, with inmates being transferred to Loughrea.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|