RamoanCounty Antrim

Share This:
Ballycastle Workhouse, 1909 OS Map
Ballycastle Workhouse, 1909 OS Map

The Ballycastle Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £4,687. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 300 inmates. The Ballycastle Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Armoy, Ballycastle, Croagh, Cushendall, Cushleake, Dunsverick, Drumtullagh, Glendun, Glenmakeeran, Glenshesk, The Fair Head, Ramoan, Rathlin, and Red Bay. 

Since 1923 the Ballycastle Workhouse site has been occupied by the Dalriada District Hospital. None of the original buildings are still standing. 

References

For more information see here Ireland VIEW SOURCE
Public Records of Northern Ireland Northern Ireland. Great Britain. VIEW SOURCE

Type of Building:

Workhouse

Communities Associated with this Building