The Cheevers family held the castle at Ballyhealy from the 13th to the 17th Century.
Samuel Lewis in his Topographical Dictionary 1837, refers to Ballyhealy and the other castles in the area:
'There are the remains, more or less perfect, of nearly sixty of these ancient castles, or towers, most of which are situated in the baronies of Forth and Bargy: the principal, not already enumerated, are Johnstown castle, near Wexford, now incorporated with the modern castellated mansion of H. R. G. Morgan, Esq.; Rathmacknee, in the same neighbourhood, which was inhabited by the Knox family within the last seventy years; Bargy, which gave name to the barony, also incorporated with some comparatively modern additions; Butlerstown, Lingstown, Ballycogley, and Cloest, in the barony of Forth; and Ballyhealy, Ballyteigue, Baldwinstown, Coolhull, and Dane's castle, in that of Bargy'.
Over the centuries, various changes have been made and today the Castle is available for rent.
|Castle History||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|