NoughavalCounty Longford

Share This:
Ballymahon Workhouse on Historic 25 inch map (1897-1913)
Ballymahon Workhouse on Historic 25 inch map (1897-1913)

The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway

The Ballymahon Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1850. The Workhouse was opened in 1852 at a cost of £7,620. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates, which was an accurate estimate as the highest population of Ballmahon Workhouse was recorded as 594 inmates when it first opened in in 1852. The Ballymahon Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Agharra, Ardnagragh, Ballymahon, Ballymore, Cashel, Doomis, Doory, Forgney, Foxhall, Kilcommock, Kilglass, Ledwithstown, Noughavel, Piercetown, Templepatrick, and Winetown.

Ballymahon Workhouse is now derelict. 


For more information see here Ireland VIEW SOURCE

Type of Building:


Communities Associated with this Building

Timeline Events Associated with this Building