The Ballymoney Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £8,025. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 700 inmates. The Ballymoney Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballycregagh, Ballyhoe, Ballymoney, Benvardin, Carnmoone, Castle Quarter, Corkey, Dervock, Dunloy, Dirraw, Enagh, Killagan, Killoquin, Kilraghts, Seacon, Stranocom, and The Vow in Co. Antrim, and The Grove, Hervey Hill, Kilrea, and Tamlaght in Co. Derry.
The Ballymoney Workhouse closed in 1918 and later became the Route District Hospital. The original buildings have since been completely demolished and the site has been redeveloped for residential purposes.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|
Type of Building:
Some communities associated with this building
Some ancestors associated with this building