Teach an Bhaile Mhóir aka Ballymore House (built 1721) was erected by Richard Donovan (1697-1763) whose estate has since enjoyed long-standing connections with the Donovan family including:

  • Richard Donovan (1752-1816);

  • Richard Donovan (1781-1849) 'of Ballymore' (cf. 15612001);

  • Richard Donovan (1819-84) 'late of Ballymore Camolin County Wexford' (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1885, 217);

  • Richard Donovan JP DL (1858-1916), 'Gentleman late of Ballymore County Wexford' (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1916, 172);

  • Richard Charlie Donovan (1898-1952); and

  • Richard Alexander Donovan (1927-2005).

The house was "Improved" in 1740 and damage during the1798 Irish Rebellion (and repaired in 1815).  Adjacent outbuildings (extant 1839) included a mill showing an enclosed waterwheel; a wedge-shaped walled garden (extant 1839);

At the time of the 1911 Census the house continued to be Donovan occupied. Burned in an accidental fire in 1955, they removed to a nearby cottage until the house was restored in 1956. 

 

References

ORIENTATION: Ballymore, Kilbride Civil Parish Ireland VIEW SOURCE
PLACENAME: Ballymore Demesne KILBRIDE Ireland VIEW SOURCE
NIAH: Buildings of Ireland Ireland VIEW SOURCE
Wexford Heritage Trail Ireland VIEW SOURCE
Census 1911: Ballymore Demesne Ireland VIEW SOURCE

Communities Associated with this Building