The Baltinglass Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £7,215. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 700 inmates. The Baltinglass Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Baltinglass, Donard, Donoughmore, Dunlavin, Hollywood, Kiltegan, Rathdangan, Rathvilly, and Stratford in Co. Wicklow, and Timolin and Graney in Co. Kildare.
During the worst years of the Great Famine, externsions were put in place to accomadate a further 40 inmates.
In 1920 the Baltinglass Workhouse was occupied by military forces and in 1923 it was burned down by Republicans.
The Baltinglass Workhouse site is now occupied by the district hospital with no original buildings surviving.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Wicklow Family History Centre||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|