The Bandon Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £8,062. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 900 inmates. The Bandon Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Abbeymahon, Ballinadee, Ballymodan, Brinny ,Clonakilty, Desert, Desertmore, Desertserges, Inishannon, Kilbonane, Kilbrittain, Kilbrogan, Kilmalooda, Kilnagross, Kinneigh, Knockavilla, Lislee, Moragh, Moviddy, Rathclareen, Templeomalus, Templequinlan, and Timoleague.
The Bandon Workhouse was burned by Republican forces in 1921.
The Bandon Workhouse site is now occupied by the local community hospital.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Cork Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|