Barbavilla Manor aka Barbavilla House is one of the last country houses in Ireland built in the 17th century tradition (an old fashioned build in it's day).
It was built c.1730, by William Smyth Jr. (1692–1769) on land purchased by his father (the Rt. Rev. William Smyth, Bishop of Kilmore & Ardagh) in 1670.
Smyth Jr. named the house the after his wife Barbara (daughter of Sir George Ingoldsby). This estate was previously known as Ranaghan.
The Smyths of Westmeath were an important family in the northeast of this county in the 18th and 19th centuries with seats at Drumcree and at Glananea. They constructed many of the old buildings to the north of Collinstown, including the former schoolhouse.
The Smyths left Barbavilla in 1955.
|NIAH Buildings of Ireland||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|NLI Smythe of Barbavilla Papers||Ireland|