The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway
The Belmullet Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1849. The Workhouse was opened in 1852 at a cost of £6,850. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates, but census records show that Belmullet Workhouse never even reached 50% capacity, with the highest population being recorded as 172 inmates in 1853. This is not an indication of affluence in Belmullet and is instead a reflection of the fact that the worst years of the famine had passed by the time the Workhouse opened. The Belmullet Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Bangor, Barroosky, Belmullet, North Binghamstown, South Binghamstown, Glanamoy, Glencastle, Glenco, Goolamore, Knockadaff, Knocknalower, Muingabo, Muings, Rath Hill, and Sheskin.
The Belmullet Workhouse site is now occupied by the Belmullet Community Hospital.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|