Bingham's Castle

KilmoreCounty Mayo

Share This:

Bingham's Castle was an early 19th-century building. It was built by Denis Bingham who settled in the Belmullet peninsula in the late 1790s. The Binghams of Erris are descended from him and from his brother, Henry Bingham of Annagh.

Half the estate of Sir Arthur Shaen in the barony of Erris was inherited by the Bingham family of Newbrook, Co. Mayo in 1738.   Theresa Bingham Daly lists the undivided moiety of the Binghams in the barony of Erris in a quote from the will of Henry Bingham of Newbrook, dated 22 Dec 1789 (see page 78). The Binghams also held land in the parish of Kilfian, barony of Tirawley, which was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1855.

In 1854 almost 13,000 acres were offered for sale in the barony of Erris by the Bingham family. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, it was held in fee by Anne Bingham when the buildings were valued at £20. Much of Denis Bingham's estate in the barony of Erris was sold in the Landed Estates' Court in 1878. Property owned by Elizabeth Eleanor and Gerald Henry Bingham, in the barony of Erris, was advertised for sale in the Land Judges' Court in November 1889.

Bingham's Castle was abandoned by the Binghams circa 1925 and almost nothing remains at the site now.

References

Landed Estates: Bingham Ireland VIEW SOURCE

Communities Associated with this Building