Binn's Bridge DRUMCONDRA

ClonturkCounty Dublin

Share This:
© BuildingsOfIreland.ie

The Royal Canal was developed in the latter part of the eighteenth century to provide freight and passenger transport between Dublin and the River Shannon.

This single-arch bridge (erected c. 1795) was named for John Binns, one of the principal supporters of Royal Canal, and its construction is commemorated in a carved stone plaque on each face.

In the mid-nineteenth century the canal was purchased by the Midland Great Western Railway company and a branch line to North Wall was constructed along this section of the canal in the 1860s.

References

NIAH Buildings of Ireland Ireland VIEW SOURCE

Type of Building:

Landmark

Communities Associated with this Building