This single storey boathouse fits in picturesquely to the field beside Stradbally Cove. It was built c.1860 by the owner of Woodhouse at the time, Colonel George John Beresford, who planned to let it to the Coast Guard for £5 a year. The Colonel was also responsible for adding a new wing to Woodhouse. When Lord Hugh Beresford took possession of Woodhouse in the 1930s, he kept his motorboat there and planned to build an accompanying quay. Horses began towing large stones into place, but work stopped on the outbreak of WWII. Lord Hugh never finished the profject, for he drowned when his ship the H.M.S. Kelly was torpedoed.
|Description on Buildings of Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|