Boyle TOWN 1845

BoyleCounty Roscommon

A view of Boyle on the eve of the Great Famine

This fine engraving of the town of Boyle was published in D'Alton's History of Ireland in 1845. It depicts, from south of the river at Tangier House, a vista which today would include the Boyle Post Office and Carrick Road in its foreground. Interestingly it only illustrates chief buildings of interest

MOCMOYNE (left to centre)

  • Boyle Mills (far left) "an extensive Flour and Corn Mills and close to it ... a brewery, now deserted." 

  • Frybrook House

  • Bridge Street 

  • Boyle Bank (taller building at the intersection w/ Main Street)

KNOCKNASHEE (centre)

  • Boyle Church of Ireland (left of centre on the hill "peering through trees")

  • King House occupied by the Connaught Rangers as an Infantry Barracks

  • King House Pleasure Grounds (centre foreground)

  • Abbeyview House (on the RH summit of Cnoc na Si / Knocknashee Hill) "the nobly wooded villa of Morgan Crofton Esq." (Agent of Lord Lorton)

  • a small tower "a small fragment of one of the five forts which formerly guarded this important pass into Moylurg" 

KNOCKNASHEE (Military Road aka Sligo Road in 1840)

  • ? House  [GV#2 Sligo Road]  occupied by John Smallman Esq. of Boyle (Agent of Lord Lorton, Local Director of Boyle Savings Bank, and £50 freeholder) wife Mary (1779-1842)

  • Boyle Glebe House [GV#3 Sligo Road] occupied by the Rev. Thomas Hackett (1764-1841) Vicar of Boyle & Prebendary of Elphin since 1796.

  • Belmont House  [GV#6 Sligo Road aka "Abbey"] "with a finely-situated and tastefully stored flower garden" occupied by James Reed Esq. RIC Inspector & Margaret Robertson

  • Boyle Abbey Ruins [GV#7 Sligo Road]  

WARREN or DRUM (far right)

  • Boyle Academy for Boys  no longer extant

  • Mount Erris House occupied by Captain John Duckworth (1786-1868) Borough-Master of Boyle 1845 "a gentleman to whose intelligence and promptness of communication the author is indebted for much valuable information" [D'Alton].

Tangier House was the property of Captain Caleb Robertson, receiver and agent of Lord Lorton. 

[Research by Rua Mac Diarmada]

References

The Parish of Boyle - D'Alton 1845 UK VIEW SOURCE

Communities Associated with this Building