Burrishoole Abbey (Burrishoole Friary) is situated just off the N59 road between Newport and Mulranny just at the edge of Clew Bay.
Burrishoole is derived from the word 'burrish' which means capital or borough and 'umhall' was the name for 'the owles'. The abbey dates back to the 15th century to Sir Richard De Burgo. Richard donated money and land for the construction of the abbey before joining in 1469 and died there in 1473. It was a Dominican foundation that was active for around 300 years before the collapse of the roof in 1793 was the beginning of its demise.
According to Megalithic Ireland, all that remains is "the nave and chancel church with a low squat tower and south transept, plus the eastern wall of the cloisters", with everything else destroyed. A Celtic cross marks the grave of Father Manus Sweeney who was executed in Newport in 1798. The cross was erected in 1922 in memory of his martyrdom with funds collected by public subscription.
For more details and some great photos, check out Megalithic Ireland here: http://www.megalithicireland.com/Burrishoole%20Friary,%20Mayo.html
Type of Building:
Some communities associated with this building