Would Margaret Flanagan who married Luke Walsh around 1816 and was having babies baptised in Culleen East in the 1820's be related to these Flanagans who lived in Cartron later? I have her parents as Patrick Flanagan and Bridget Sharman and think she was born around 1795, but I have not found records to prove this yet.
Teach an Chartúin aka Cartron House near Mantua, was long associated with the Flanagans Esq who were graziers and horse-breeders here.
In the mid-1830s, Mr John Dowd of Cartron sat on the Grand Jury for the Barony of Frenchpark and Mr Francis Flanagan of Ballyconboy (aka Ballakaboy) sat for the Barony of Castlerea.
In 1832, Francis Flanagan and John Flanagan, a minor (see John Flanagan Esq Drumdoe) had laid claim by a decree of sale to lands of Ballymurray & Rossbeg, Co Roscommon and the Deerpark of Cloonlough (Coolavin) Co Sligo [Dublin Evening Post - Saturday 17 March 1832].
In 1839 the house on this site was not recorded here as having a value exceeding £5.
In 1845, Flanagan took up occupancy in Cartron (aka Cartron Elphin). On 4 Feb 1845, Francis Flanagan (1804-1882) married Mary McDermott (b.1831) and had 12 children, 6 of whom were still living by 1911:
Charles M Flanagan b. 1856; Francis A Flanagan (1858-1904), Patrick Phillip Flanagan b. 1861; Sarah Flanagan b.1865, Joseph Flanagan b.1867, Mary Margaret Flanagan b.1868, Josephine Agnes Flanagan b. 1871, Terence Stanislaus Flanagan b. 1873, and Mary Margaret Flanagan b 1896.
From 1847, Mr Francis Flanagan of Cartron sat on the Grand Jury for the Barony of Roscommon. By 1852, John Dowd was resident at Ryefield.
In 1857, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, Francis Flanagan Esq held the entire townland of CARTRON (as a tenant of James Murphy of Castlerea). It was a grazing ranch with no other tenants. Flanagan also held the entire townlands of GLENVELA and GORTNASILLAGH from Murphy. BALLYMURRAY he held as landlord, MILLTOWN, Three Flanagan brothers held 6a at BALLYCONBOY as tenants.
Cartron House at this time was valued at £7. The 5-foot wall of Cartron was often crossed during stag hunting in the "good old days". [Roscommon Messenger - 24 December 1910].
The 1901 Census shows Cartron house was a 1st class slated house with 8 rooms and 8 windows to the front. It was then occupied by Flanagan's widow, Mary, and some of her adult children. There was only one other household in the townland.
Mr Francis A Flanagan, Cartron marr
The funeral of Mr Francis A Flanagan, Cartron, Co Roscommon, [Roscommon Messenger - Saturday 09 April 1904 ]
On Tuesday, the funeral of Mr A Flanagan, Cartron, Co Roscommon, whose death occurred at a private hospital in Dublin on Saturday last, at the age of 46 years, took place. The illness from which the deeply-lamented gentleman suffered had been practically continuous for about 18 months, and was so severe that it was evident an attack of so serious a nature could not fail to leave permanent weakness behind, and that the end could not be long postponed.
Flanagan belonged to an old and highly respected County Roscommon family, and the announcement of his death evoked widespread sorrow, not alone in County Roscommon, but in the adjoining counties. The deceased was the most popular of sportsmen, and kept a string of racehorses and hunters of considerable renown, and was himself one of the most graceful of horsemen who followed hounds across the plains Roscommon. He was a well-known figure at the Dublin Horse Shows, both as an exhibitor and in the jumping competitions, and carried off numerous prizes lor his horses in both classes.
On Monday morning, the remains, encased in a beautifully-mounted polished oak coffin, were removed from the hospital to Broadstone Terminus, to catch the 4 p.m. train for conveyance to the West, for interment in the family burial-place, Ballinlubber, County Roscommon. The remains arrived at Ballymoe Railway Station at 8.20 p.m., wiiere they were met by a large concourse of people of all classes and creeds. They were then borne to the Parish Church, Ballintubber, where they were placed on a catafalque before the High Altar. On Tuesday morning, at 11 o’clock, Requiem Office and High Mass was celebrated for the happy repose ot deceased’s soul, in the presence of the large congregation. The celebrant of the High Mass was the Very Rev Canon Mannion, Elphin ; deacon, Rev O’Beirne, C C, Elphin; Rev J Kean, C C, Ballmagare, sub-deacon ; and Rev Martin, C C, The College, Sligo, master of ceremonies. In the choir were—The Right Rev Monsignor, Hanly, P P, V F, Cast Urea ; Rev Janies Martin, P, Ballintubber ; Rev Jas Neary, P P, Frenchpark ; Rev M Creighton, C C, Mantua ; Rev J Hannon, C C, Ballymoe ; Rev T Gallagher, C C, Boyle ; Rev T Cummins, C C, Roscommon ; Rev P Coleman, CC, Killina ; Rev E Morgan, C, Kilmurray ; Rev M Brennan, C C, Castlerea ; Rev T Sharkey, C, Castlerea ; and Rev McHugh, C C, Castlerea. The interment took place at one o’clock, in the picturesque little graveyard of Ballintubber, amidst every manifestation of mourning ; ant the funeral cortege—representative as it was of all classes and creeds in Roscommon and adjoining districts—was a magnificent tribute of respect to the deeply-lamented deceased and sympathy with his family. Rev Canon Mannion recited the last prayers at the graveside.
The chief mourners were—Mr M Flanagan, Dr H Flanagan, London; Mr Patrick P Flanagan (brothers), Master F Flanagan (nephew), Mr Broderick (brother-in-law). Mr T O’Rorke, J P ; Mr C Rorke, Mr M Rorke, Mr J O’Connor (cousins). The following sent wreaths dear Uncle Francis; from Frank. Mary, and Ellen Flanagan,” In loving memory and heartfelt sorrow; from Mother and Sarah. ’ “With deep regret and fond memory; from his nieces, Katie, Minnie, Anna, Clare, and Frances." In loving memory; from Matthew and Mrs Flanagan.” In loving memory and deep sorrow ; from Mrs Broderick.” fond remembrance our dear brother Francis ; from Paddy and Janette Flanagan.”
At the time of the 1911 Census, Carton House Farm was occupied by Francis A Flanagan's mother, Mary, and brother Patrick P Flanagan JP and family. Patrick married Jeanette M in 1900.
In 1917 the ranch of Cartron was purchased by the County District Board:
The CD Board have purchased the large residential farm known Cartron, once the property of the late Francis A Flanagan. They contemplate taking over half of the land at present, and the remainder or house division next May. There are upwards of four or live hundred acres in the holding. [Roscommon Messenger - Saturday 03 November 1917 ]
|Cartron ORIENTATION||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Cartron PLACENAME||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Cartron House Farm Archive 1849-1845||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Cartron House||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|