Cavelawn House at Faus, Croghan (aka Fass and Ardcorkey ) was the property of the Lloyds of Croghan which, along with the land, they let to an agent. In this case, the middleman was Co. Leitrim born James Acheson Esq. (1782-1877) who had resided with his wife Mary Berryhill at Cavetown since at least 1808. It is not clear who resided at Cavelawn.
In May 1829, James Acheson of Cavetown applied to the Roscommon Voters' Register with a freehold of £50 for the "House and Land at Cavetown, and Land at Ardacarke, Faus, and Ardmore, in the barony of Boyle". [Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette - Saturday 09 May 1829].
At the Spring and Summer Assizes of 1836, James Acheson of Cavetown was among the cess-payers appointed to sit for the Barony of Frenchpark. [Roscommon Journal – 2 April 1836; Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette - 5 November 1836].
In 1839, at the time of the first Ordnance Survey, Cavelawn House, Faus, was recorded in the name of said James Acheson.
In 1858, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, Guy Lloyd was leasing a house at Faus valued at £10 to James Acheson. His son, William Acheson of Lughnashammer also held land around Croghan at that time.
In the late 1870s (possibly following the death of James Acheson in 1877) David Bourns (1825-1910) of Ardglass, a Protestant gentleman farmer, took up residence at Cavelawn.
The 1901 Census tells us that Cavelawn was a slated, 6-room house, with 7 windows to the front. The Bourns family were still residing there in 1911.
The house at this site is labeled Cavelawn on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map of 1913.
Cavelawn house is still extant.
|Valuation Office HOUSE BOOKS 1839: Faus (Acheson)||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Landed Estate Records: Cavelawn||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|