Teach Bhaile na hUamha aka Cavetown House was the property and seat of a branch of the Mahons of Strokestown.
In 1829, James Acheson applied to the Roscommon Voters' Register with a freehold of £50 for the "House and Land at Cavetown, and Land at Ardacarke, Faus, and Ardmore, in the barony of Boyle". [Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette - Saturday 09 May 1829].
In 1830 the sale of Cavetown House and the estate was ordered to be sold.
[Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette - 12 June 1830]
Hanah Nunn Plaintiff V Robert Henry Downes Mahon Esq. and others
The lands of Cavetown (on which one of the most beautiful Demesnes in the County Roscommon, finely planted, with a Lake in view of the Mansion House,) Cloontharlower, Gloria, Leccarowansallagh, and Ardcuck are held by Lease for lives, renewable forever ever. The lands of Laragh and Ron are held in fee simple. The lands of and Cloontbagbane are held by lease for the residue of years, under the See of For Renta! and particulars, apply to Mr. Richard B. Downes, Plaintiff's Attorney, No. 26, South Cumbrrland-street; Hr. M'Domoqk, Attorney for H. D. Mahon, Esq. 11 Marlborough-street; and to Messrs. Fox, and BsaalNOTon, Attornies for other Defendants, 91 Stephen's-green, South, if letter postpaid.
For the full story see: www.abandonedireland.com/CavetownHouse
|Tarquin Blake's Abandoned Ireland||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|