The Catholic Church in Drinagh was blessed formally in April 1932 having been built on the site of the old RIC barracks in Drinagh village. It sits today proudly next to the Primary School looking out over the beautiful rolling hills to Carrigfadda in the distance. The old catholic church was also located in the village on the opposite side of the road but is no longer present. The building of this new church was overseen by Fr John Crowley (of Bandon) who was the local priest in Drinagh from 1922 to 1933. He also founded Drinagh Co-operative in 1923. A newspaper entry from August 1928 captures Fr John's plea for funding and donations to help build the church and tells of the laying of the first foundation stone earlier that same month. See also the timeline entry showing a photo of Fr John Crowley and Bishop Cahalane with some of the other people involved in building this magnificent church. The building work was carried out by the Cahalane Brothers. The new graveyard is situated behind the church.
The church is described on the Buildings of Ireland website as follows:
Located close to the other significant twentieth century public building, the primary school, and set on a slightly elevated position within Drinagh village, this handsome church is a notable addition to the streetscape. While its cruciform-plan is typical of the latter part of the nineteenth century, its profusion of external decorative detail identifies it as a later building. It marks a departure from the popular Gothic Revival style, and draws much inspiration from the Romanesque style, with round-headed arches, stout columns and the chevron motif.
Photograph and local history from Sean McCarthy Drinagh People Facebook Group.
|Building of Ireland Website||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|