The following information was provided by Mr Steve Dolan, Manager of The Irish Workhouse Centre, Portumna, Co. Galway
The Clogheen Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £6,165. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 500 inmates, but census records show that the true number of inmates reached as high as 1,333 in 1852. The Clogheen Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ardfinnan, Ballybacon, Ballyporeen, Caher, Clogheen, Deragrath, Newcastle, Tubrid, Tullahorton, Tullamealon, and Whitechurch.
Clogheen Workhouse was destroyed in 1921 by the IRA during the War of Independence.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|