The Clones Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1840. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £7,215. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 700 inmates. The Clones Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Clones, Currin, Drumully, Newbliss, and St Tierney in Co. Monaghan, and Aghadrumsee, Newtown Butler, and Rosslea in Co. Fermanagh.
During the worst years of the Great Famine, extensions were put in place to accomodate for a further 220 inmates.
The Clones Workhouse was closed in 1921. The site is now occupied by a meat processing facility with only the Fever Hospital still standing.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
Type of Building:
Some communities associated with this building