Teach Chluain Fraoigh aka Cloonfree House aka Clonfree House was the seat of the Mahons of Clonfree – a branch of the Mahons of Strokestown. The Cloonfree Mahon's estate included land in the parishes of Bumlin, Cloonfinlough, Kilcooley, Killukin, and Ogulla, in the barony of Roscommon.
In 1735, Thomas and Elenor Mahon of Strokestown granted Bartholomew Mahon a lease (renewable forever) at Cloonfree, parish of Cloonfinlough, county Roscommon.
Rev. Maurice Mahon of Clonfree
In 1810, the residence of the late Rev. Maurice Mahon of Clonfree was advertised to let. (In 1816, his relict, Elizabeth Mahon, married John Hughes Esq. of Kings-Bench Walk, Temple.)
William Mahon of Clonfree
William Mahon Esq. of Clonfree House was the second son of Bartholomew Mahon Esq (d.1849) of 8 Russell Street Dublin and Clonfree (the family seat). In December 1842 he married Jane Devenish the fourth daughter of William Devenish Esq. of Mount Pleasant, Co. Roscommon.
George Knox J.P. of Clonfree
George Knox of Clonfree (d.1847) married Caroline Hawkes of Briarfield in 1827. He was a deputy to The Crown Agent involved in the notorious Ballykilcline evictions and resident at Clonfree House from 1835 through the 1840s.
This George was the grandson of Jane Mahon (sister of Maurice Mahon aka Lord Hartland) who married George Knox of Prehen, county Derry in In 1760. This Knox family had landed interests in county Roscommon for at least two succeeding generations.
Robert French of Clonfree
From 1841 Robert French (also a Mahon descendant) also resided at Cloonfree House for about 7 years.
In March 1860, the Clonfree estate of Bartholomew Mahon, "a lunatic", was advertised for sale.
In the early 20th century Cloonfree House, Storkestown was the residence of W. F. Johnston.
|Landed Estates: Cloonfree||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|