Cnoc na Seamar aka Cloverhill is a 19th-century Georgian farmhouse situated in the townland of Bunreagh, on the road to Croghan. Part of the Lloyd of Croghan Estate, it was built for a gentlemen farmer who also acted as land agent /middleman. At the time of the first ordnance survey, there were very few "houses" (valued at £5 or more) to be found south of Croghan.
In April 1839, Cloverhill House was the residence of Thomas Cox Jr. and valued at £6 8s. Cox held 48 Irish acres of titheable land (not bog) in the townland of Bunreagh.
In 1857, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, the house [GV#13a] was recorded as the residence of Thomas Cox (1827-1902) and now valued at £10 (including farm out-buildings). Cox was leasing 80 acres in Bunreagh (part bog) about 57 acres in Lisdaly and the National Schoolhouse at Killapoge from Lloyd of Croghan. He also held Lloyd lands at CARRIGEENCARRAGH, TREANAMARLY, and KNOCKNAFUSHOGA [par. Estersnow].
In 1885, his son, Robert B. Cox, advertised his holdings here for sale:
Freeman's Journal - Wednesday 18 March 1885
IMPORTANT SALE OF TWO FARMS, HOUSE, AND PLOT OF GROUND, AT CROGHAN (County Roscommon).
THE Undersigned has been instructed by Mr. Robert B Cox, of Cloverhill, Croghan, to offer for sale by AUCTION, At the Courthouse, BOYLE,
On TUESDAY, March 24th, 1885 At Two o'clock, After the arrival of the Down Train from Dublin,
The Tenant's Interest In the folloving Farms, and House, and The Plot of Ground:-
No I Farm - The holding of Cloverhill (just south of Croghan House) containing 57a 3r 28p (L.P.M.) at the yearly rent of £73 6s 1d, under Guy Lloyd, Esq, D L. There is upon this faim a most suitable residence, attractively situated, with a nicely wooded lawn in front and large garden; also an extensive range of offices. There is a good bog convenient from which turf can be procured.
No 2 Farm- The Holding of Larkhill (just west of Hermitage) held under the same landlord, containing 82a 0r 0p (L.P.M.) at the yearly rent of £82 11s 2d. This is considered to be the best fattening land in the district, and has upon it a large and commodious farmyard in good order, and standing for 80 head of cattle.
No 3 - The Schoolhouse in Croghan, with Plot of Ground attached, containing: 31 perches statute measure, at the annual rent of 2s, yielding a net profit of £7 14s yearly
These desirable farms are situate near the town of Croghan, and equal distance (four miles) from Boyle, Elphin, and Carrick-on-Shannon. Private offers will he received by the owner, Mr. Robert B Cox, Cloverhill, Croghan, or by the Auc- tioneer. Conditions at sale. Purchasers by private treaty or public auction to pay 2.5 per cent auction fees.
M. CUNNLNGHAM, AUCTIONEER, BOYLE.
In the 1901 Census, this 6-room house (with 7 windows to the front) was home to the family of Pat Nerney (1858 -1933) a gamekeeper for Guy Lloyd Esq. The farm out-buildings included a stable, coach-house, cow house, calf-house, barn, turf-house and shed.
Married in Dorsetshire, England in 1872, his wife Emma Reid aka Emily Nerney (1858-1931) was Church of Ireland. In 1885 couple was residing on the Lloyd estate at Lugnashammer. They also resided at Croghan and Lisdaly, before moving to Cloverhill.
In the 1911 Census, the Nerney family were still present here. Their eldest son, John Nerney also employed as a gamekeeper.
By 1924, the Cox family were again resident at Cloverhill.
New Peace Commissioners.—Mr. A. R. Cox, Cloverhill, Croghan, and Mr. J. J. Costello (a former Parish Court Justice) have been appointed Peace Commissioners. [Weekly Freeman's Journal - Saturday 19 April 1924].
Cloverhill House and farm are still extant today.
|Primary Valuation House Books 1839||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Griffith's Valuation 1857||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|