The Coleraine Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £8,140. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 700 inmates. The Coleraine Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Aghadowey, Agivey, Articlave, Ballylagan, Baunbrook, Bovaght, Coleraine, Downhill, Drumcroon, Garvagh, Glenkeen, Knockantern, Letterloan, Port Stewart, Ringsend, Slaght, and Somerset in Co. Derry, and Beardville, Bushmills, and Port Rush in Co. Antrim.
The Coleraine Workhouse was repurposed as the Coleraine Hospital. Most of the original buildings have been demolished, but the entrance block still survives. The site has since been redeveloped for housing.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|