The Cookstown Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £6,300. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Cookstown Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballyclog, Ballynasallus, Beaghmore, Coagh, Cookestown, Killeenan, Killcolpy, Lower Lissan, Munterevlin, Oaklands, Orritor, Pomeroy, The Rock, Sandholes, Stewartstown, and Tullyhog.
The Cookstown Workhouse lay dormant for a number of years and most of the buildings have since been demolished.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|