The Cootehill Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £8,168. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates. The Cootehill Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ashfield, Cootehill, Drumgoon, Drung, Knockbride, Larah, Rakenny, and Tullyvin in Co. Cavan, and Aghabog, Cormeen, Dawson Grove, and Drum in Co. Monaghan.
No original buildings of the Cootehill Worhouse are now standing.