The 1920’s and early 1930’s had seen a huge rise in the development of Drumcondra with almost 400 extra houses built during that time. Griffith Avenue was built originally to house civil servants (including military personnel). Corpus Christi National School, which shares the grounds with this church, was built in 1931.
Rev. J. Dwyer commissioned a new 'modernised Romanesque' church, to accommodate nearly 1,600 to be built on Griffith Avenue (between Clare Road and Valencia Road) at a cost of IR£70,500. The foundation stone was laid in Sep or Oct 1939, and the Church of Corpus Christi was dedicated June 1941.
There were wooden gates at the point where the nave of the church met the transepts. These were in place to separate the classes (upper Drumcondra – north of Home Farm Road, and lower Drumcondra – south of Home Farm Road). This segregation was also applied in Corpus Christi National school until the mid-1970s.
The pulpit was used for sermons up until the early 1980s, in or about the time people were invited to receive Communion either in the hand or on the tongue (and to stand at its reception, rather than kneel).
Corpus Christi Catholic Church is floodlit at night, serving as an easily recognisable landmark for Drumcondra; its green copper dome can be seen from many parts of the city.
|A Dictionary of Irish Architects||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|