The Croom Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1850. The Workhouse was opened at a cost of £7,350. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 600 inmates. The Croom Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Abbeyville, Adare, Ballingarry, Ballyagran, Ballygrennan, Ballynabanogue, Ballynoe, Castletown, Coolrus, Crean, Crecora, Croom, Dunnaman, Fedamore, Garrane, Grange, Kilfinny, Kilpeacon, and Rathmore.
In 1924, Croom Workhouse became the county home. It was later converted into the Mid-Western Orthopaedic Hospital.
|For more information see here||VIEW SOURCE|
|Limerick County Archives & Information||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|