The Dingle Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1847. The Workhouse was opened in 1852 at a cost of £8,230. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 700 inmates. The Dingle Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballinvoher, Ballyduff, Ballynacourty, Brandon, Castlegregory, Cloghane, Deelis, DIngle, Dunquin, Dunurlin, Inch, Kilmalkedar, Kilquane, Kinard, Lack, Marhin, Minard, Stradbally, and Ventry.
In 1889 the Sisters of Mercy became involved in providing nursing care at the Dingle Workhouse.
The Dingle Workhouse was closed in 1922 and the building was repurposed as the local communtiy hospital which closed in 2010.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|