THE CHURCH OF DROMYN aka KILLAPPOGE CHURCH & BURIAL GROUND [SMR No. RO010-062003-]
Cill Lapóg > Killappoge > 'St. Lappog's church' was identified by John O'Donovan in the 1830s with a Saint Lappog (of whom nothing was known). Lapóg or Lapán is a familiar form of Labhraidh – he who speaks – and four instances are known in Ireland but there is no saint of the name (Ó Riain 2011, 391).
According to D'Alton (1845) it was the parochial church and cemetery of Killummod; more anciently known as the Church of Dromyn. Early 19th century RC Burial records for this parish also refer to it as Dromyn Church Cemetery (in Latin). It had long been in ruins but the graveyard was still extant.
The church site is situated on top of a knoll; An Dromainn / Drummin is a topographical placename for 'a ridge or long hill'.
NOTE: The townland of Bunreagh (adjascent to Killappoge) was also known as Dromyn "Dromone alias Binreagh". Next-door, the townland of Derrylow, had sub-denomination known as Drummin [TA 1835].
In 1778, it was mapped as a 'Church in Ruins' by Taylor & Skinner (see Antique Ireland Road Map 71/72 Elphin, Boyle).
In 1837, a rectangular graveyard (approx 30m x 30m) was marked on the the OS 6-inch map (see photo watermark above). Dromyn Church cemetery, was still in use as a burial ground in the 1810s.
Circa 1860, human bones and copper ornaments were found there (OS Name Book).
Today, nothing of this church or burial ground is visible, save for an ecclesiastical enclosure - visible as a D-shaped grass-covered area (defined by an earthen bank SE-SW, and a 1.5m high scarp elsewhere). This site can be found north of Killappoge Old Cemetery, just left off the road to Croghan.
It was also known as Dromyn* (D'Alton 1845, 89) and some early 19th century RC Burial records refer to it as such. Drummin is an topographical placename that refers to 'a ridge or long hill'; Dromyn Church is situated on top of a knoll. This suggests the ancient name for this site was An Dromainn.
Bunreagh (Bun Riabhach 'grey bottom') aka Dromyn (Dromone alias Binreagh)
*Not to be confused with Drummin, a sub-denomination of the nearby townland of Derrylow.