Drumcondra Library, opened on 19 February 1937, was one of four suburban public libraries planned by Dublin Corporation in the mid-1930s. The main feature of these new branch libraries was the large lending department shelved to hold 10,000 to 12,000 books.
The public library in Drumcondra is a freestanding building, surrounded by a lawn and facing onto the southern end of Griffith Park. The building is attributed to Robert Sorley Lawrie, a Scottish architect working in the City Architect’s office under Horace O’Rourke. Lawrie designed the library at Inchicore, which is extremely similar to this one (see also Phibsborough and Ringsend libraries). These simple buildings have Art Deco styling around the doors and simple modern window treatments. The intention was to produce a building simple in form and pleasing in design, which would be easy to maintain. The signage on the front "leabarlann publide" (leabharlann poiblí) reflects the priority the new Irish Free State gave to the Irish language.
The library underwent significant refurbishment in 2010, providing ramped access, a universally accessible public toilet, new shelving and furniture and a new public counter.