The Dundalk Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £7,077. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates. The Dundalk Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Ballymascanlan, Barronstown, Carlingford, Casterling, Castletown, Upper Creggan, Darver, Dromiskin, Dundalk, Foughart, Haggardstown, Jenkinstown, Killany, Louth, Rathcorr, and Ravensdale in Co. Louth, Lower Creggan in Co. Armagh, and Inniskeen in Co. Monaghan.
During the years of the Great Famine, extensions were put in place to accomodate an additional 120 inmates.
The Dundalk Workhouse site is now occupied by the St John of God's Hilltop Services. All original buildings have been demolished.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|County Louth Archives||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|