The Dungannon Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £8,000. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates. The Dungannon Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Aghnahoe, Altmore, Ballymagran, Benburb, Bernagh, Brantry, Castle Caulfield, Clonaneese, Clonavaddy, Crossdermot, Derrygortrery, Drumaspill, Dunnaghmore, Dungannon, Meenagh, Minterburra, Mountjoy, Moy, and Tullniskan.
The Dungannon Workhouse site has been repurposed as the South Tyrone Hospital with very few original features still surviving.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|
|Public Records of Northern Ireland||Northern Ireland. Great Britain.||VIEW SOURCE|