The Ennis Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1841 at a cost of £8,600. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 800 inmates. The Ennis Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Bunratty, Clare, Clondagad, Clonlea, Cloony, Dysert, Ennis, Feenagh, Inagh, Inchacronan, Kilconry, Kilkreest, Killoan, Kilmaley, Newmarket, Quin, Ruann, and Templemaley.
The Ennis Workhouse site is now occupied by St. Joseph's General Hospital, with all but one of the original buildings being destroyed by the 1970's.
|For more information see here||Ireland||VIEW SOURCE|